Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Life of a Surf Bum

Hey everyone! Again I apologize about being a bit behind on my blogs, but things have been quite crazy since I’ve been back from holiday. However, let me begin with part one of my spring break…

Since the University of Newcastle gives us 2 full weeks off for spring break, it’s basically the perfect opportunity for international students to travel (especially since all the Australians go home and no ones around anyway!). The whole thing began way back in August when my friends and me spent about 6 hours in STA travel one day trying to figure out and plan our perfect spring break trip that suited everyone. The original plan was to travel the east coast for 1 week and go to New Zealand for the second week. However, after all hopes of going to New Zealand went down the drain (long story…) we were back to the drawing board. We ended up deciding to buy an STA travel preplanned trip that traveled up the east coast to some of Australia’s best spots. Although the trip was heaps expensive, we all decided that we may only be in Australia once and this would by no doubt be the best spring break trip of our lives.


Day 1: Newcastle → Byron Bay
After an extremely stressful week composed of papers, projects, coffee, overdue library books, energy drinks, packing, and very little sleep, Friday had FINALLY arrived. Everyone met at the Brewary in downtown Newcastle where we were able to meet and hang out with the other 20 uni students that we would be traveling with for the next 2 weeks. Our group was composed of me, Catie, Amber, and Jess as well as a few other Americans, and students from Germany, the Netherlands, Finland, England, and Norway. Straight away we realized that there was going to be a language barrier with some of the people who didn’t speak English very well. So after meeting and mingling with everyone for about 2 hours, we made our way over to the bus terminal to prepare for the first of many overnight buses. We were taking Greyhound Australia, which is quite popular because they offer a pass that allows people to travel either up or down the entire east coast of Australia for heaps cheap. However, this also means that every single seat is filled (and assigned?) so sleeping sitting up in your chair is really your only option.



Day 2: Byron Bay
About 11 hours later, we finally arrived into the wonderful town of Byron Bay. Although I’ve already been to Byron a month ago, I was heaps keen to go back because it’s one of my favorite places in Australia. So as we all piled off the bus half asleep and quite crabby from the poor nights sleep, we realized that we had no idea where our hostel was! Luckily, me and Amber remembered walking by this hostel the last time we were in Byron, so we were able to point everyone in the direction of where to go. So after arriving at the Nomad’s Odyssey, we stumbled upon our first major problem. It was currently 7:07 am, we weren’t allowed to check into our rooms until 2 pm, and we had a surf lesson at 1 pm. Since each of us had a suitcase, the receptionist told us that we could place our luggage in their storage room, conveniently located on the top floor of the hostel (did I mention that the elevator didn’t work?). So after we made it up to the 4th floor, we knew straight away that this weekend would be an interesting one. The hallway was packed with about 25 extremely loud and obnoxious Australian boys playing cricket in the hallway (at 7:15 am!). Turns out that there was a footie competition that Sunday in Gold Coast, called Uni Games, so the teams usually stop in Byron for a few nights on their way there. Therefore, the ENTIRE hostel (minus our group) was completely booked up to various footie teams from across the country. I knew I wouldn’t be getting much sleep in Byron Bay…

Catie, Amber, Jess, and I decided to go to my favorite café in Byron (Twisted Sister) for brekkie as we were all completely starving. This may have quite possibly been the best breakfast I have ever eaten in my life. So at this point, we had about 5 hours to kill and nowhere to sleep, so instead we walked down to the beach and passed out for a few hours. Well rested, we made our way back to the hostel and started to get ready for our first surf lesson.



I was so excited to learn to surf. I really wasn’t expecting to be any good at it at all, but since surfing is one of Australia’s most popular sports, I had to try! We were taking surf lesson with the company MojoSurf, rated the best surf school in Australia. Jess had gone on an entire weekend surf camp a few weeks earlier and had the time of her life. Mojo tries to make everything heaps fun; I mean their motto is “Yewwwwwwwwww!” and the van they picked us up in was cranking cool surf tunes. We drove for about 20 minutes to Lennox Head, a town nearby where we’d be surfing for the day. A reoccurring thing I’ve noticed I’ve had to do in Australia is sign my life away in various forms. Just like skydiving, Mojo had us sign a release form basically saying that we wouldn’t sue them if we died. My personal favorite line of the risk list was, “you may be attacked, stung, or bitten by a shark, jelly fish, bluebottle, or other creature." What was I getting myself into?





Since it was pretty nice out and the water wasn’t that cold, I was glad to hear that we didn’t have to wear wetsuits. Instead Mojo gave us all rash guards (rashies) to wear out. I was so ready! Next they gave us each surfboards and had us carry them down to the beach. Mojo gives everyone 9 foot high foam boards because their best for beginners to learn on. So not only was this board 4 feet taller than me, but it also weighed 50 pounds! So the surf instructor gives me my board to walk down to the beach with, but my arms were too short that I couldn’t hold the board at my side! So instead he suggested trying to carry it on my head. Well, have you ever carried 50 pounds on your head before? Not really an easy task. I’m not quite sure how, but eventually I did make it down to the beach with my board, but I was already exhausted and we hadn’t even started yet! It was gonna be a long day…



The beach in Lennox Head that they took us to was absolutely beautiful, and quite remote which was nice that I wouldn’t have too many witnesses to see me embarrass myself. Once everyone was down, one of the surf instructors started teaching us about rips and currents and tides, and I’m not gonna lie, it all went over my head. Next they had us do some stretches and warm-ups which included leapfrog and wheelbarrow races. Then finally we learned how to actually get out there and the steps to standup on our board. They had us all practice about a million times on the sand while they came around to give us tips and pointers. Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle, push up, jump, twist. I had this down. The surf instructor told me I looked like a pro! Maybe I wouldn’t be so bad at this after all?



Well we finally got out into the water, and I was AWFUL! I mean I was kinda expecting to be pretty terrible, but I was just having the hardest time ever. I could barely carry my board and every wave would push me back that I couldn’t even get out far enough to get on my board. I probably swallowed a gallon of salt water by the end of the day, and I already had cuts and scrapes all over my legs. So after about half an hour of failing miserably, one of the surf instructors taught me how you have to jump over the waves so that they don’t push you back. Well why didn’t anyone tell me this sooner!? Finally I was able to get out far enough to catch a wave. Luckily, since most of the surf instructors were young 20 something guys, they were more than willing to help out the girls having a hard time. So I hopped on, he helped me turned my board for me, and then the wave came! The first time you catch a wave it’s the craziest feeling ever because the wave just literally carries you. This was it! All the steps were quickly running through my head. Paddle, paddle, paddle, paddle, push up, jump, twist….fall. Wow, it was much easier on the sand. But even though I fell, it was so much fun! I was determined to stand up on the board. So I went out again, even more determined, and asked one of the instructors to get me set up again. Paddle, paddle, paddle, push up, jump, twist….I was doing it! But then I was so freaked out that I was actually standing up on the surfboard that I fell off a few seconds later. I was having such a great time. I spent the entire 4-hour lesson out in the water, and got a little annoyed when they forced us to take a break for a group photo. I was actually able to stand up on the board probably about 60- 70% of the time and towards the end was able to get myself set up without any help. I actually surprised myself. Who would have guessed that I could kinda surf? Nonetheless, it was still pretty difficult and I guess none of us really actually “surfed.” I don’t know how surfers make it look so easy. I gotta give way more credit to all those “surf bums” out there.



Across from the beach, Lennox Head has a lake that is completely surrounded by tea leave trees which in turn dies the lake brown and makes the lake look like…tea, which was pretty cool! So after our lesson, we all hopped in the lake to clean off our boards and chill out for a little bit before heading back to Byron.



Day 3: Byron Bay
Surfing was probably one of the most physically exhausting activities I’ve ever done. I reckon that I’ve never been sorer in my entire life as I was the next morning when I woke up. We didn’t have our next surf lesson until 1pm, and I guess everyone else must have been just as tired as I was because I was the very first person to wake up in our 8 share dorm room and I woke up at 12:02 pm. After quickly getting ready, Mojo picked us up and we headed off to our second surf lesson. Since we already knew everything from yesterday we were able to head out into the water straight away after warm-ups. The waves today were absolutely PERFECT! However, unlike most of my friends, I didn’t do as well surfing the second day as I did the first. The problem was that I would get out there and get set up, catch the wave, and then when the time came to “push up” I just physically could not push my body up because my arms were hurting so bad from yesterday. However, I still pretty determined so I managed to get myself up a few times, including one time when I actually rode the wave all the way into shore!

Stayed tuned for part 2 of 4. Harvey Bay & Fraser Island coming soon…. :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great trip. I have lived in Australia for 4 years now but have never given surfing a go. You make it look easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,

    I spend a Christmas in Byron Bay one year and had th best time surfing there, its had to no relax and have fun in a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems you had every reason to be fearful about signing your life away ... judging from your photo there looks to have been way too many on that class. It’s rare any council allows that many. On checking up, this school was licensed to take 14 students so you have to wonder if their insurance covered them at all. Spoils it for other schools from Sydney to Yepoon who are doing the right thing! Mojo are rated ``best'' by Mojo only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here you find Surf Hotels, Surf and Yoga Retreats, Resorts and luxury Hotels and Resorts.

    ReplyDelete