Friday, August 28, 2009

Since I've been in Australia...Part 2

Back by popular demand!

1. I’ve realized that seeing guys wear short shorts and Ugg boots is not an uncommon thing.
2. I’ve found that if you go to McDonalds and ask for tomato sauce (ketchup) you’ll get 1 packet. If you ask for extra you’ll get 2...and an evil glare.
3. 3 words: TIM TAM SLAM
4. I’ve seen 13 cockroaches in my room…2 in my bed.
5. I’ve noticed the libraries on campus are a ghost town. Aussies like to pretend they don’t study. But they secretly do.
6. I’ve found that ice is nearly nonexistent.
7. I’ve noticed that no one says “bless you” when you sneeze.
8. I’ve unwillingly turned into a Vegetarian.
9. I’m now annoyed with the stupid tourists who can’t walk on the left side of the sidewalk!
10. I’ve learned that if you go into a coffee shop and ask for a small coffee they will stare at you blankly. If you want a coffee with cream you order a “flat white,” if you want a black coffee you order a “tall black,” and if you want a shot of espresso you order a “short black.” And Splenda, Equal, and Sweet-n-Low also doesn’t exist.
11. I’ve realized that although I dearly miss heaps of American food, I know that there will be some Australian food that I’ll dearly miss when I’m back in the states (i.e. Milo, Tasty cheese, Lift, Tim Tams, etc). I’m still trying to figure out a way to bring Tim Tams back in my suitcase.
12. I’ve found that the “h” is pronounced “haytch” and “z” is pronounced “zed.” So if you live in International House (IH) then you live in I-HAYTCH and the alphabet ends is x, y, zed.
13. I’ve picked up heaps of Aussie lingo. And Australians will compliment you if you correctly use the lingo in everyday talk. Still working on the accent.
14. I’m amazed at how many Australians want to go to the states.
15. I've noticed that Australian’s use a fork and knife to eat EVERYTHING. Even french fries (er… I mean chips).
16. I’ve found that there are no free refills in any restaurants. I learned that one the hard way.
17. I’ve found that when your server asks you “would you like bread and butter while you wait” it’s also not free. I learned that one the hard way.
18. I’ve learned that there’s a hole in the ozone directly over Australia. So you can wear 30spf sunscreen and still get tan :).
19. I’ve realized that I now end my sentences in “but.” (i.e. “This burger is good, but.”)
20. I’ve only been here for 6 weeks and I’ve traveled more than I have in 19 years of my life in the states.
21. I don’t even hear the Australian accent anymore.
22. I’ve discovered McCafe, the greatest place on earth. I’m still trying to figure why America doesn’t have this.
23. I think I’ve seen 3 overweight people. I think they were Americans.
24. I’ve become a big fan of morning tea, afternoon tea, and night tea.
25. I’ve become an expert at packing. Last year I would have never guessed that I could go on a weekend trip with only a small backpack (which half is taken up by my very large camera!).
26. I’ve decided that it still feels weird to ride shotgun and not be driving.
27. I’ve found that the big question everyone wants to know about American culture: “IS IT LIKE THE MOVIES??!”
28. Australians don’t have prom or high school graduation. But they know all about them from American movies.
29. I’ve noticed that Australians are much less involved and much less busy at Uni then Americans. Only about 1 in 10 have jobs and are only involved in 1 sport or activity…if that.
30. I realized that the US basically dominates the world. Everyone seems to know everything about the US….much more than I know about any country.
31. I’ve found that heaps of places don’t accept credit cards, so you almost always need cash on you. And most will not let you use your credit card unless the purchase is over $10. Also, every cashier is required to hold on to your credit card until after you sign because they have to check to make sure your signature matchs up with the one on the back of your card.
32. I’ve found that you have to pay $299 for a gym membership, and 15 cents for every piece of paper to print at the library, but laundry is free. How does that work?
33. I’ve finally accepted the fact that everything here is ridiculously expensive and that I’ll be lucky if I come home with a penny to my name.
34. I’ve found that having a cell phone is more of a hassle and I hardly use it. Turns out you really don’t need to text every second of the day. Who knew?
35. I’ve eaten chicken flavored chips. I reckon they taste like ramen noodles.
36. I’ve found that beetroot comes on all burgers. Strangely, I actually like it.
37. I learned that voting in Australia is compulsory.
38. I now pronounce Australia as "Stralya.”
39. If you order a large coffee, it’s the size of a small coffee in the states. If you order a small coffee, it’s basically a kiddie cup.
40. I've noticed that unlike the US, there are very few public holidays. However, when they do come around they are taken quite seriously.
41. I gave up saying hi to people, and just skip straight to “How ya going?”
42. I’ve learned some more Aussie lingo:
• Good onya = good job
• Smoko = break
• Arvo = afternoon
• Righteo = alright
• Biscuits = cookies
• Jello = jelly
• Jelly = jam
43. I've found that Australians talk in the formula "have a ___" constantly. For example, let's have a chat, go have a look, you should have a think, we'll have a go, etc.
44. I've learned that in Australia it's illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving. HUGE fines.
45. I've found that pop tastes different. It doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup...it's not as good.
46. I’ve already taken over 1,000 pictures. And I still have over 3 months left here.

1 comment:

  1. Your Biggest Blogging FanAugust 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM

    I can't wait for you to come back to the States and be using all your Australian lingo. And then I'll make fun of you and be like, 'kim, you reckon what? you'll have a go at what? this ain't stralya mate!' but secretly ill be heaps jealous

    ReplyDelete