Saturday, July 25, 2009

Since I've been in Australia...

Since I've been in Australia…..

1. I tried vegemite once… and probably never will again.
2. I thought that the birds that woke me up at 6 a.m. the first few days were really cool and tropical and exotic, but now I wish I had a sling slot, or BB gun, or something….
3. I’ve seen 5 cockroaches in my room. ….1 in my bed.
4. I found out what a meat pie is, and actually kinda like it.
5. I learned that I go to Uni and live in a college.
6. I realized that the campus looks more like a jungle than a uni and have gotten lost numerous times.
7. I’ve never heard so much techno music in my life.
8. I found that toilets have 2 flush buttons: half and full.
9. I quickly learned they don’t throw shrimp on the barbie, no one drinks fosters beer, girls are never called shielas, and no ones accent sounds anything like Steve Irwin.
10. I learned how to respond when someone asks me “How ya going?” and have already found myself saying it as well.
11. I already added the words “heaps” and “no worries” to my vocabulary.
12. I found that the train and bus timetables are works of fiction.
13. I discovered that everything from toothpaste to McDonald's is smaller, yet way more expensive.
14. I found that paying $3.60 for a smaller version of a 20oz pop is “cheap.”
15. I found that GST (tax) is already included in the price and a $25 worth of things rings up as…$25.
16. I was extremely confused the first time I came out of the shower and saw a guy brushing his teeth…then I realized the bathrooms are co-ed.
17. I’ll actually wake up before 9:00 a.m. to get brekkie (breakfast) in the dining hall to avoid having to buy lunch.
18. I miss Elmhurst’s cafeteria food….really bad.
19. Tim Tams have become a major food group.
20. I found that Wednesday night is a bigger deal than the weekend.
21. I found that 9 times out of 10 an Australian will remember your name the second time they see you.
22. I found that when an Australian tells you the train is about a 5-minute walk from the colleges that really means a 20-minute walk and when they tell you to dress casually you should wear a dress and heels.
23. After about an hour of wondering why my phone wasn't charging, I figured out that you have to turn the outlet “on” for it to work.
24. I found it’s perfectly cool to bring a beer into the dining hall with you for dinner.
25. I found that 15 degree weather (59 F) is a pretty rough winter.
26. I laughed at the Subway promotion for “7 dollar foot long subs.”
27. I’ve been asked if American life is kinda like the movie Superbad.
28. I’ve struggled to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, liters to gallons, kilograms to pounds, and kilometers to miles and wondered why America is the only country that doesn't use the metric system.
29. I’ve noticed that not only do they drive on the left side of the road, but they walk on the left side as well.
30. I've felt under dressed in my "dressy" clothes.
31. I found that Mexican food is basically nonexistent.
32. I've noticed that Australians will go crazy and spend heaps of money on American candy.33. I found that servers in a restaurant get paid between $20-$25 an hour and tipping is not necessary or expected.
34. I found that Australians are the friendliest people in the world.
35. I found that the more an Australian teases and makes fun of you, the more they like you (called "taking the piss at you").
36. I found crossing the street is much more difficult than I thought it would be. RIGHT first, then left, then right.
37. I found that Australians have found a way to shorten everything to one or two syllables. (i.e. sunglasses = sunnies, mosquitoes = mozzies, television = telly, swim suit = swimmers, McDonalds = Maccers, Christmas = Crissie).
38. I learned that words I’ve said my entire life are completely wrong in Australia:
*parking lot = car park
*aluminum = (pronounced a-lu-min-e-um)
*sprite = lemonade
*candy = lollies
*ketchup = tomato sauce
*bathroom = toilets
* herbs = (pronounced herbs WITH the h)
*sweater = jumper
*cell phone = mobile phone
*flip flops = thongs
*friend = mate
*french fries = chips
*kitchen = tea room
*agenda/planner = diary
*shopping cart = trolley
*discount = concession
*throw up = spew
*right away = straight away
*are you alright? = you right?
39. I've only been in Australia for less than 2 weeks and have already learned so much.

Lots more updates on O-week, uni, college, and classes soon to come. Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. SO MUCH BUT I STILL NEED MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kim, so cool! I really enjoyed that post... I especially love imagining you working on your Australian accent...haha "Are you alright" = "you right". my favorite.

    ReplyDelete